Arthritis is a condition wherein an individual experiences stiffness and pain in the joints. About 50 million of the American population suffers from this disease. This May, we are taking a stand to help the community be informed through Arthritis Awareness Month. The Arthritis Foundation is leading the way to helping individuals suffering from arthritis through tools, resources and scientific researchers to help them live their best life.
- About 53 million adults have been diagnosed with this disease and are expected to grow to 67 million 12 years from now.
- About 300,000 individuals ages of 1 -18 years old have some form of arthritis or rheumatic condition.
- It is a common cause of disability. Working ages (18-64 years old) are highly unlikely to be employed than those without arthritis.
- About $156 billion per annum account for lost wages and medical bills due to arthritis and other similar diseases.
- Adults with heart problems, diabetes and obesity are more likely to have this disease.
- About 1/3 of the 45-year-old adults who have this disease are more likely to develop anxiety or depression.
Keeping informed is vital to helping the individual get a footing against arthritis. But there are also natural ways, especially for seniors, to fight against this disease.
- Lose weight – As the statistics showed, 36% of the adult population who are obese develop this debilitating disease later in life. Additional weight induces arthritis for the reason that it causes pressure in the joints in the knees, hips, and feet. By reducing weight, mobility will be restored, the pain will be lessened and this prevents further tearing in the joint ligaments.
- Exercise – Exercising has a lot of benefits. Mobility keeps the joint flexible and mobile thus preventing it from tearing easily. While walking may be suitable, it will lead to further damage to the joints as this exercise adds pressure to the lower extremities. Doing low-impact exercises like swimming actually prevents the stress in these areas and still promotes weight loss.
- Omega 3 and other fatty acids – Fish is a quickest and easiest food group to get this type of nutrients. Omega 3, which is found in fish oil, can promote healing to the joint areas and pain relief.
- Seeds from hemp, primrose, and black currants carry another fatty acid called gamma-linolenic acid or GLA. However, it is best to consult first with a medical health professional to give the right diet suitable for your age.
This Arthritis Awareness Month, volunteers can also take part in disseminating and keeping the public informed through various activities. There are fundraisers from the Arthritis Foundation that interested parties can take part of. The ongoing development of finding the best cure for this illness is also part of this organization advocacy to teach communities and volunteers to help spread the word. A program called ‘Champion of Yes’ is a resource that people can look into as a learning resource from real life experiences of those suffering from arthritis and conquering this to live better lives.
Know more about arthritis and be part of a team to help the elderly. We help find the best care for your aging loved one. All of our services are FREE to you! Contact Options For Senior Living today!